Friday, March 12, 2010

More Aetna Antics

Well, I haven't posted about Aetna in a long time, but they are still up to their old tricks. Since we showed them that they have to cover Daniel's therapy by law, virtually every claim for me that is not for a doctor visit has either been pended or denied. Interesting. Apparently, filing a complaint with the Illinois Department of Insurance wasn't enough to keep them in check. Their latest thing is a denial of my ER visit on Labor Day weekend for a throat infection. Apparently, I wasn't sick enough need medical attention. Before I went to the ER, I searched their website for the nearest urgent care facility, and I found one located right here in Hammond. The problem - I was sick on a Saturday morning, and the urgent care facility is only open Monday through Friday. My doctor does not have Saturday office hours, and he was not available by telephone. I had big white spots in my throat and a fever of 101.7. Apparently, I was supposed to just stay at home and get sicker. The antibiotics that cleared up the infection were a covered expense, but seeing a doctor to get a prescription for them was not. Yet, I never would have gotten a prescription for antibiotics without first seeing a doctor. Way to go, Aetna!

1 comment:

  1. They have got to be the WORST company out there! Unfortunately, they are staffed by under-educated bafoons who only read from a script in front of them.

    Keep fighting. Keep appealing. Go up the ladder.

    Some day, they will be caught for what they are doing.

    ReplyDelete